Natural stone adds beauty to any home — undeniably. But the stone you choose has work to do, too. Backsplashes, mudroom floors, kitchen countertops, bathroom surrounds! Each serves a purpose in addition to making your home beautiful. You want both — beauty and beast-like toughness.
To start, consult this list of natural stones and where they work best. Then, read Choosing and Using Stone Surfaces to learn what makes each type of stone unique.
- Marble: backsplashes, floors, pastry surfaces, tub surrounds, vanity tops
- Granite: kitchen countertops, pastry surfaces, fireplace surrounds
- Limestone: bathroom surfaces, kitchen floors, entryways
- Onyx: bathtub surrounds, shower tiles, vanity tops Slate: floors, kitchen countertops
- Travertine: bathtub surrounds, countertops, shower tiles, floors
- Sandstone: bathtub surrounds, shower tiles and walls, kitchen floors Soapstone: kitchen countertops, vanity tops, sinks, fireplace surrounds